Animal problems

Dog left in a hot car

Concerns for animal welfare should initially be reported to the RSPCA or by calling them directly on 0300 1234 999.

If you have immediate concerns over an animal left in a hot vehicle where a more urgent response is required please call 101. Details such as the location and vehicle information will be required so where it is possible and safe to do so please make the report from the scene of the incident.

Dog fouling

It is the responsibility of the local council to keep public areas such as parks, playgrounds and pavements clear of dog mess.

Please contact your local council to report this issue.

Stray dogs

If you find a stray dog and can not contact the owner, you must report it to your local council.

The RSPCA will not attend to collect stray dogs but will respond to an animal in distress or to a report of cruelty.

Nuisance dogs

Your local council can deal with dogs causing a nuisance such as noise and fouling complaints.

For issues with barking dogs please see our noise nuisance section.

Report a dead or injured animal

Report a car accident with an animal

You must stop and report the accident to the police if you hit any:

You must do this as quickly as you can, whether the animal is killed or not.

Report a dead animal to your local council

You can report any dead animals you find on the road to your local council.

This includes wild animals like badgers and foxes, as well as domestic pets such as cats and dogs.

Welfare of an animal

The RSPCA will respond to reports of animal cruelty and animals in distress. You can report online or contact them on 0300 1234 99.

The RSPCA will contact us if we are required to attend.

Share this page: