Issued on 3/12/18 at 4:39 p.m.
An operation which targeted those who have been evading capture resulted in thirteen people being arrested.
The three-day operation – codenamed Cabriolet – was carried out in the Beaumont Leys area between Thursday 29 November and today (Monday 3 December).
The aim of the operation was to target people who were suspected of being involved in crime, wanted on warrant or needed to be recalled to prison after breaching the terms of their licence.
Thirteen people were arrested during the operation for various offences including theft, theft of motor vehicle, criminal damage, public order, distribution of indecent images of children and robbery.
Detective Chief Inspector Shaun Orton was in charge of the enforcement operation. He said: “The Operation Cabriolet enforcement activity has been carried out a number of times in the last 18 months, in the city and county, and it’s resulted in some good arrests for various offences.
“This latest phase of the operation has meant that we have located a number of people who had been evading capture. The offences they have been arrested for may not be classed as serious but it’s the low-level crime that cause the greatest harm in our communities.
“We are pleased with the results and will continue to carry out such operations across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
“If anyone has information about crime in their area they are encouraged to contact 101.”
Those arrested during the operation were dealt with as follows:-
- 30-year-old Leicester man interviewed in relation to theft, he will be the subject of a postal requisition ordering him to attend court on a date to be confirmed
- 41-year-old Leicester man arrested on suspicion of theft from motor vehicle and released pending further enquiries
- 43-year-old Leicester man interviewed in relation to theft, he will now be the subject of a postal requisition ordering him to attend court on a date to be confirmed
- Jane Starkey, 55, of Yew Tree Drive, Leicester, charged with theft. She is due to appear before Leicester Magistrates’ Court on 20 December.
- 35-year-old Leicester man arrested on suspicion of distribution of indecent images of children and released pending further enquiries
- Micahel Migas, 27, of Farmway, Braunstone Town, charged with public order. He is due to appear before Leicester Magistrates’ Court on 11 January, 2019
- 16-year-old boy arrested on suspicion of five counts of robbery, he has since been released pending further enquiries
- 14-year-old boy arrested on suspicion of five counts of robbery, he has since been released pending further enquiries
The remaining five people, who were arrested after they were suspected of being involved in crime, were eliminated from enquiries and released from custody with no further action.