How did Mark die?

Issued on 22/3/18 at 12:01 a.m.

Incident number: incident 335 of 20/03

Detectives are today (Thursday 22 March) asking the people of Leicester one, simple question: how did Mark Cookson die?

Mark was involved in some kind of argument in Hillcrest Road, Leicester at around 6.30pm, three years ago today.

When he got home to his nearby flat – at 103 Leicester Road, Wigston – a short while later, he complained he was suffering from a headache. Three days later, concerned they had not heard from him, his family called at that flat, and found Mark dead.

He had died as a result of a fractured skull and associated bleed on his brain.

He was 42 years old.

Today, detectives and Mark’s father Robert, have launched an anniversary appeal to find out what caused Mark’s fractured skull.

Crimestoppers, the independent charity, is offering up to £10,000 for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for and in relation to his death.

And Mark’s family have joined forces, offering £10,000 of their own money to boost the Crimestoppers reward to £20,000.

Posters appealing for the public’s help have this morning been put up in locations throughout Wigston and leaflets are being handed out to pedestrians in the area of Leicester Road.

Special beermats have been placed in pubs in the area, and from Monday next week (26 March), fuel pump nozzles in more than 20 petrol stations within a six mile radius of Wigston will also carry appeals.

Detective Inspector Mark Sinski, who is leading the investigation into Mark’s death, said: “Three years on, I am appealing for the public’s help in finding out how Mark came by that head injury.

“Cast your mind back. Did you see anything happen here in Hillcrest Road in Leicester that Sunday, 22 March, 2015? That day may stick in your memory - it was the day that the King Richard III funeral procession took place, with the king’s body subsequently laid in rest at Leicester Cathedral. “Were you out and about? Have you heard anything? Did you see anything? “Three years on, Mark’s family need answers. They need to know how Mark died. So do I.”

Mark’s father Robert said: “I know that my son died from a fractured skull and the associated bleed on his brain. But three years on, we still don’t know how he came by that head injury.

“For three, long years, my family has waited for an answer to that question.

“If you know something, if you saw something, please contact the Police. “Crimestoppers has offered a reward of up to £10,000. I have matched that very kind offer.”

If you can help, ring 101 quoting incident 335 of 20/03 or submit information to the force online.

There is a reward of up to £20,000 on offer from the independent charity Crimestoppers and Mark’s family for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for and in relation to his death. Information can be given anonymously to Crimestoppers either by ringing Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or via the secure online form at Only information given to Crimestoppers will be eligible for the reward.

« Back to witness appeals

Share this page: