PCSOs perform one of the most demanding roles in the modern police force, inspiring confidence in our communities by
- working as part of a neighbourhood policing team, supporting neighbourhood officers in solving local problems
- helping to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour
- dealing with minor offences and
- supporting front-line policing
It is an essential role, which gives the police more time to support our communities.
- deal constantly with members of the public
- build links with employers, businesses and community leaders
- deal with nuisance offences such as street drinking or begging
- have limited powers suited to their role
PCSOs do not...
- have powers of arrest
- be able to interview or deal with prisoners
- investigate serious crime
- carry out the more complex and high-risk tasks that police officers perform