Road Traffic Collision

These web pages aim to explain what happens following a road traffic collision, answers some of the commonly asked questions and sets out the level of service you can expect from us.

View or print our leaflet here

View or print our Road Traffic Collision Policy here

View or print our Road Traffic Collision Procedure here

What should I do if I am involved in a collision?

To comply with the law it is necessary that:

Insurance information must be given to anyone who may want to make a claim. If details have not been exchanged then the collision must be reported to the police within 24 hours. You can report road traffic incidents online or at a police station

What will the police do?

Producing your driving documents

If a collision report has been submitted, the police will record the driving documents of all of the drivers/riders involved, and will initially attempt to obtain these details using the DVLA and the national Insurance and MOT databases.

However, if these details are not available, you may either be issued with a form at the scene, or a notice may be sent to you in the post. You will need to produce the specified documents at the police station you have nominated or at any convenient station if the notice was posted to you, within seven days.

Do I have to inform my insurance company of the collision?

If your insurance company is not informed of any collisions involving your vehicle, you may invalidate your insurance cover. Check your policy details for more information. You will need to check with your insurance company first before arranging for any repairs to be carried out as they may need to send a representative to inspect the damage.

Share this page: