Reporting Crime

If you think you need to report a crime, tell a parent, carer or adult you trust first.

In an emergency call 999.

If it is not, call 101.

When you call 999 the person at the other end of the phone will ask you a few questions . They are likely to ask you...

What is the emergency?

This is when you should say whether you need an ambulance, police or the fire service . If you are unsure which you need you should explain what has happened.

Where are you?

If you are unsure where you are then you should try and tell the person on the phone what you can see. Can you see anything you recognize? Look out for signs or buildings you can identify.

Is anybody hurt?

If someone is hurt then you should tell the person on the phone so that they can call an ambulance to help you. They may give you instructions telling you how to help the person who is hurt.

Name and number

Make sure you tell the person on the phone who you are . They may also ask for your phone number or your house telephone number .

Share this page: