The role of the Prevent Officer is:
- To promote trust and confidence in communities in relation to the sensitive subject of violent extremism.
- Developing new work in partnership with communities and partner organisations.
- To work closely with both communities and partners, including Local Authorities i.e. schools, colleges, faith groups, women, youth and vulnerable groups.
What does public consultation tell us?
- An open and honest debate discussing terrorism can influence levels of public support for the work undertaken.
- Police counter terrorist tactics will only command public confidence if they are, and are seen to be, appropriate, proportionate and fair.
- Communication with the public in the counter terrorist context is vitally important.
- The public need accurate information quickly if they are to put their trust in the police and other agencies involved in counter terrorist work.
- Women and young people have been inadequately involved in counter terrorist community engagement.
- Insufficient space is made for engagement and counter terrorism in the public sphere.
- The prevention of terrorism is preferable to the pursuit of terrorists.
- Police enforcement and community engagement are both necessary to counter terrorism.
For information contact the Prevent Team by email [email protected] or by calling 101.
You can also follow the team on Twitter @LeicsPreventET