Don't let crime take off
Project Pegasus is a joint initiative by the National Crime Agency, the National Police Chiefs’ Council and the UK Border Force to address terrorist and criminal threats to the aviation scene.
Are you into flying? Do you spend time at airfields? By reporting suspicious activity, you could help to prevent illegal smuggling of people, drugs or firearms, immigration crime and terrorism.
Smuggling causes immense harm to the UK, whether it is people being moved, or drugs, explosives, guns or other commodities.
There is no recipe for terrorist, criminal, or suspicious activity: if it looks odd to you, report it and we'll check it out.
Is a pilot...
- Inexperienced, nervous, or vulnerable to pressure?
- Flying at the edge of his or her capabilities?
- Disregarding weather conditions?
- Pushing their luck on short airstrips or in low light?
- Taking risks with fuel?
- Damaging planes too often?
- Ignoring aviation regulations?
- Filing misleading or false General Aviation reports or flight plans?
- Being evasive about passengers, flights, routes?
- Are there suspicious associates around?
Is an aircraft...
- Modified to increase range or load?
- Carrying extra fuel?
- Visiting remote destinations, rarely-used sites and isolated airfields?
- Staying at a foreign destination very briefly relative to the effort made to get there?
- Regularly suffering minor damage?
- Covered in mud when only tarmac strips are on the flight plans?
- Landing short of its notified destination?
Have you spotted...
- Reconnaissance - attempts to test or research security around an airfield?
- Individuals buying equipment, chemicals, uniforms, badges
- People in the wrong place or behaving oddly?
- Packages being dropped from low-flying planes?
- An odd pattern of aircraft hirings?
- Club-hopping by non-local pilots linked to attempts to reach distant destinations?
- Signs of disguised continuation flights or deviations from plan?
- Strange or fraudulent patterns of payment?
- Are all employees appropriately vetted?
Is the airfield or site...
- Getting extra or unusual use without plausible explanation?
- Receiving puzzling deliveries?
- Showing unusual activity on the ground around a landed aircraft?
- Are windsocks or lights suddenly appearing?
- Is activity occurring at odd times, or being disguised or concealed?
If you see unusual activity...
- Do not take direct action or confront individuals
- Do not reveal your suspicions
- Record as much detail as you can
How you can help us
- Report anything unusual to Crimestoppers on 101 and provide the following information:
- Who did you see?
- What did you see? The more specific you are, the better we can explore it
- When did you see it?