The misuse of drugs and alcohol causes damage to both individuals and communities. Effective policing is one tool for dealing with drugs and alcohol and this means more than enforcement; it requires a strategy combining prevention, education, treatment and enforcement.
We are committed to working closely with our partners to address local community problems and to eradicate drug and alcohol misuse in order to ensure our communities are safe places to live.
Specifically as a force we:
- Manage alcohol related antisocial behaviourand crime through our Neighbourhood Policing Areas
- Work with key partners to address under-age alcohol sales
- Work in partnership with the licensing trade to ensure the night-time economy is a safe and enjoyable place for the community
- Restrict the supply of the illicit drug trade
- Address the issue of Psychoactive Substances (incorrectly referred to as legal highs) which includes enforcement, education and prevention work
- Work in partnership with treatment services to ensure treatment is always available for offenders with drug and/or alcohol problems
- Work with schools and other youth organisations to deter young people from substance misuse.
Here you will find information about the following: