The National Counter Terrorism Office (NaCTSO) has produced a Ten Point Security Plan for registered users of Ammonium Nitrate (AN), it is important to adhere to this, and immediately report any suspicious activity regarding this material. Suspicious activity includes theft or anyone attempting to purchase the material that is not licensed to do so.
- Do not store fertiliser where there is public access
- Do not leave fertiliser in the field overnight
- Store fertiliser away from the public highways. Also ensure that it is not visible from the road
- Record your fertiliser deliveries and use
- Fully sheet fertiliser when stored outside and regularly check to ensure the stack has not been tampered with
- Carry out regular stock checks
- Whenever possible store fertiliser inside a locked compound, ensuring it complies with Health and Safety Executive guidelines
- Report any stock discrepancy or loss to the police as soon as you can
- Always purchase your fertiliser from a Fertiliser Industry Assurance Scheme (FIAS) approved supplier
- It is an offence to sell on ammonium nitrate fertiliser without the property certification (detonation resistance certificate)
For more information about how to secure your fertiliser, visit www.secureyourfertiliser.gov.uk
If you have information relating to fertiliser misuse or crime in your area, please report it to us by calling 101.