Electric fences can be an easy target for thieves. Sited in remote locations away from the farm or stable means they are often vulnerable. Some energisers are stolen for their scrap value, whilst others are offered on second hand markets without operating instructions.
Thing to consider
- Visibly mark your equipment in a number of places, this acts as a deterrent, reducing its value and makes it harder to sell on if stolen, plus it provides you with an easy way to identify your property
- Take a photograph of your unit and keep records of the make, model and serial number. This will greatly assist the police if your unit is stolen
- Attach your energiser securely to a sturdy fixed point or secure within a purpose made storage container. Make it as hard as possible for the thief to remove it as any damage caused to the unit will reduce its value
- Hide or camouflage your energiser behind a fence or tree, in a hedge or in under growth
- Smaller tracker units can be fixed to the energiser to trace its location if stolen
- If you have a light showing the power is on, cover this with tape. Leaving the light to flash in the dark shows the offender where the energiser is situated, making it easy to steal in the night
Please report all thefts
We believe stolen energisers are being sold on without instructions or packaging. If you are aware of items like this being sold, and the reason being given for how they became available is suspicious, please notify us by calling 101.