Firearms Certificates

You can get copies of the Firearms And/Or Shotgun Certificate Application forms by downloading from this website.

Form 201 is the joint application form for all Firearm And/Or Shotgun Certificates this should be filled in and returned along with payment and photographs to the Firearms and Explosives Licensing Department. Form 201V is also available.

How much does it cost?

The grant of a firearms certificate is £88.00 or for the renewal of an existing certificate is £62.00. A cheque or postal order made payable to 'OPCC for Leicestershire' should be included along with Form 201 and returned to:

Firearms and Explosives Licensing Department
Leicestershire Police
Mansfield House
74 Belgrave Gate

Cash should not be sent through the post.

Coterminous certificates

If you are applying for the grant or renewal of a shotgun certificate and you already possess a firearm certificate, you can request that both certificates expire on the same day by making them coterminous.

This can save the certificate-holder money because coterminous renewals are less expensive than separate firearm and shotgun renewals.

For more information contact Leicestershire Police’s Firearms and Explosives Licensing department.

What is ‘good reason’?

Section 27(b) of the Firearms Act 1968 states that a chief officer of police shall grant or renew a firearms certificate if they are satisfied that the applicant has ‘good reason’ to possess, purchase or acquire the firearm or ammunition for which the application is made.

‘Good reason’ is demonstrated by the applicant showing that he or she has acceptable facilities to use the type of firearms concerned. Target shooting

Please enclose a copy of your club membership card or a letter from the club secretary confirming membership. You will be expected to be a full member. Vermin/deer/sporting shooting

If you do not own the land or the shooting rights on the land on which you intend to shoot, please enclose a copy of the authority regarding the land on which you wish to shoot.

For example, if you have permission to use a .22 rifle on one piece of land and a .243 rifle on another piece of land, you will need two separate authorities.


If you are applying for a variation to increase the number of guns in your possession, you will need to clarify your 'good reason' in wanting to purchase another rifle. Simply writing 'vermin control' or 'deer control' is not sufficient reason.


You should supply references from two people who have known you for at least two years. Members of your immediate family, registered firearms dealers, serving police officers or police employees cannot act as referees. Your referees must be of good character and resident in the UK and may be of any background or occupation.”

Referees - please be aware the police checks will be conducted to determine their suitability as a reference. In circumstances, in which it is determined they are not suitable, a new referee will be requested of the applicant.

Firearms and shotguns should be stored as to prevent access by unauthorised persons which include other members of an applicants household.

All guns should be stored out of sight and under lock and key. Gun cabinets, gun clamps and gun rooms are the best forms of secure storage.

Gun cabinets should be: - made of steel at least 2mm thick and conform to BS 7558 (1992). - have two five lever locks fitted inside the cabinet. - secured to the fabric of the house in a protected area (i.e. not a garage or an outhouse). - be out of sight from casual visitors.

Gun clamps are suitable if you have one gun and must conform to the same standards as a gun cabinet.

Ammunition should be stored in a separate, lockable compartment and may form part of the gun cabinet. Ammunition boxes should remain ventilated. Transporting guns

When transporting guns

Share this page: