Air Weapons Licensing in Scotland

You generally need a visitor permit to use, possess, purchase or acquire air weapons while in Scotland. This includes buying an air weapon, someone giving one to you, or simply having an air weapon in your possession. If you already hold a valid firearm and/or shotgun licence issued in England or Wales, and you are not planning on buying a gun while in Scotland, you may not need a permit until your existing certificate expires or is renewed.

Applications for visitor permits (or full air weapon certificates) should be made to Police Scotland who will decide your application and deal with any questions you have about the process. You can download the appropriate application form from or When complete, it should be sent to Police Scotland at:

Air Weapons Team
Police Scotland
Clyde Gateway
2 French Street
G40 4EH

You can also get further information on air weapon licensing, including information on exemptions from the need to hold a certificate, at

Share this page: