Stolen vehicle

If this is happening now please call us on 999, otherwise you can report it to us online.

You will need your vehicle make, model, colour and registration number. Our system will link in with the Police National Computer which means that if your vehicle is seen by Police or ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition system) we can act on it. If your vehicle has a tracking system then please contact your tracking company and inform your insurance company.

Report an untaxed vehicle

Reports of untaxed vehicles should be directed to the DVLA.

Report a road traffic collision

A road traffic collision is an incident involving a vehicle that results in any damage to person(s), animals, property or another vehicle.

If there is a serious injury, the road is blocked, major damage caused to property or street furniture then ring 999 immediately to request assistance.

For minor collisions you are legally obliged to exchange details with the other driver and these details are then handed over to your insurance company to deal with.

If you were involved in a collision as a driver or rider whereby someone has been injured then you must report the incident yourself within 24 hours. You can report road traffic collisions online or by visiting a police station.

No one else can do this for you. You will need your driving licence, insurance documents and MOT certificate.

Find your nearest police station.

Abandoned vehicles

We are only responsible for dealing with abandoned vehicles if they are on a road causing an obstruction or danger, or if you believed they may be lost or stolen.

If you've made enquiries with your neighbours, no one knows who the car belongs to and you think it's been abandoned you can report it to your local council who should be able to trace the vehicle’s owner and arrange for it to be removed.


The police are only responsible for parking issues where vehicles are parked within the confines of pedestrian crossings or where a vehicle is causing an unnecessary or wilful obstruction.

For example: vehicles parked on pavements causing obstructions for pedestrians, particularly for those with prams and for those in wheelchairs; parking in a manner that causes a disruption to the flow of traffic and in particular emergency vehicles; parking on the corner of roads impeding the view of drivers trying to exit junctions, will incur a £30 Fixed Penalty Notice.

For all other parking queries please contact your local authority.

Driveway obstruction

Vehicles causing an obstruction to a driveway can only be removed by us if there is a dropped kerb in place, and the vehicle is being prevented from leaving the driveway. We will not attend a report of obstruction where a vehicle is unable to get onto a drive/parking area.

Further information and advice can be found on our Ask The Police section.

Speed and red light camera offences

For any queries relating to speed and red light camera offences please email the the Road Safety Unit More information can be found on the Speed or Safety website

Faulty traffic lights

To report traffic lights that are not working please email

Average speed cameras

For all average speed camera queries please contact your local authority.

Share this page: